Thursday, September 8, 2011

Grievences about Games: Game Content

Some of the things that upset me the most about game in the light of content. I'll probably do another list for design and other aspects but this entry will be mostly about game content, meaning the story, characters, visuals (outside of UI) and so on.

  • Battle Only Games - Why is violence the only answer?
  • The Buzz Cut Space Marine - I hate this character. He needs to die in a fire. Him and all his clones.
  • Wooden Voice Acting - I think this is pretty much common sense.
  • JRPG Story Lines - I don't understand you. You don't make sense. And all the characters look like women?
  • Repeating Dialog - Not just the looping kind, I'm talking about reiterating information constantly.
  • No option to be a female character - This is not required but in some stories, like those with a silent protagonist, it'd be a nice option.
  • Violence aimed specifically at women - This just needs to stop in all media. I understand the need for a victim of violence but society tells this to a woman subliminally every day: You are weak, you are worthless, you belong to a man, you are an object.
  • Jiggle physics - For the same reasons above. I understand the theory behind this exploitative marketing tactic. IT WORKS.
  • Horses Animated Incorrectly - this is such a minor nitpick and completely personal. But I can tell when a horse is running "wrong". Sometimes it is to the point where it actually decreases my enjoyment of an otherwise good game. Luckily it seems to be something limited to games from Japan. Instead of running like a horse, it runs like a wolf or a dog. My favorite example of this is Shadow of the Colossus. I've played some of the game but the horse run was irritating to me so I couldn't stand to watch it. If low budget girly horse games can do it, so can a high budget Japanese games. (I'm serious, I played through ALL of Bella Sara's lame 3D game.) 
  • Religion Sucks - Why haters gotta hate on traditional religions?  And why are a majority of religious figures evil or villains or jerks?
 Not much else to elaborate on. I'm still working on some deeper posts for later. For now, enjoy my whining.