Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Game Thoughts: The Wolf Among Us

Last weekend I started watching a play through of The Wolf Among Us (TWAU) on YouTube, but after the first episode I stopped. I HAD to play this game myself. So I did. This is my first time playing an Episodic game title. I'm getting positive vibes from this...but here are my game thoughts.

Synopsis

 Based on the comic series "Fables", the game acts as a pre-cursor story to the "Fables" comic series. (If wikipedia is to be believed.) In a neighborhood of Manhattan fairytales live in the mundane world as mere shadows of their legendary selves. The game follows Sheriff Bigby Wolf (formerly the Big Bad Wolf) in a film noir style, murder mystery.

Virtues


I am rolling around squealing at the AMAZING art design. The lighting, the lines, the colors. It IS like a living comic book page.

...personal preference...I like Bigby's visual design and voice...this may have colored my WHOLE view of this game. I'm sorry/not sorry. I go for Wolverine types.
...
Sorry...still thinking about him and the voice. /sigh/

Okay I'm back.

Lovely soundtrack and voice acting.

Mostly consists of quick time events to progress the story and even make little changes depending on those choices.

Very cinematic.

Some very well developed female characters. Mostly modest...see vices for the exceptions.
(Bloody Mary may be my favorite.)

Themes of redemption.

Replayability. I feel you have to play it many times through to get the whole story. I've gone through at least twice with a good wolf and a bad wolf. I will play many more times to see all options.

Vices


So, off the bat you'll find that the language is very, very crass. God's name taken in vain, lots of f-bombs...seriously...and overall foulness. It goes with the tone of a comic, noir...but can be very off putting.

Also off the bat, violence is very prevalent and at times a bit gory. But, it is a murder mystery...so there is a body expected. And lots of fist-fights. Early on it's established that the Fables are near immortal. Surviving multiple gunshots, an axe to the head, a fall from the 2nd floor, etc. Still, it's very violent and on the gruesome side.

Working Women are present and there's so far only one topless scene at the brothel? Topless bar? I don't know what to call it without resorting to foul language. For the most part the girls are actually wearing clothes like halter top dresses or even knee length pencil skirts with a corset top. Sex is suggested but never shown.

No options to speed through cinematics which can be tedious on replay.

Waiting for the next episode??? OH man, now I know what episodic games are like. Maaaaan...
(This is not really a vice. But the problem with me and murder mysteries...I'm too dumb to figure it out I need to know!!!)

Conclusion

I don't know if this really reflects what NYC and the Bronx is really like OR if it's just adding to my long list of reasons why I'll never even visit the big apple. Violence, poverty, swearing, and sinful behavior are staples as is typical of this type of story. I think like most "gritty and real" stories, if you can get past the abrasive surface, there's a good story and good characters. ...And I may just be giving my interpretation of Bigby there. Lol...this is the problem with being a fan of a character I guess. It's making me biased. The warning signs are all over the game, but I found it worth playing.

(Oh my wolverinnnnnnne!!!! Why am I so drawn to chain smoking, gruff, near immortal guys??)