Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Game Thoughts: SoulCalibur Games

It's been awhile since I could sink my teeth into something mildly worth writing about. Also, I started a new job, so thanks for the prayers on that. It's an awesome workplace.

For the past couple of days I've been playing SoulCalibur IV and V. I like spending time to unlock all the unlockable content which seems to be the only reason to keep playing single player.

I have 3 SoulCalibur games now: 2, 4, and now 5. And here are the primary reasons I bought each.

2: I had a Gamecube, Link was a playable character.

4: I just got my PS3, Darth Vader was a playable character, and I had a create my own character option. I will spend days making characters.

5: More options for Creating Characters, Ezio is a playable character...I made Tali from Mass Effect. ^^

Things that appeal to me about these games are the character driven nature, visual design and animations. I do care a bit about gameplay too. Quarter circles are the worst.
So it's not so much the fact of winning a match (which does motivate me) but performing the button sequence correctly to see my favorite animations.

In SC 4 and 5, Tira is one of my go-to characters. My favorite move of hers is a hula hoop move, it's not too hard to perform in 4 but in 5 they made it a little harder for me.

Now onward to virtues and vices:

Virtues for 5: ...
I can make my own fighting characters. That's fun.

The graphics are very pretty.

The characters have interesting designs and personalities that actually shine through.

Most of the characters have small breasts that don't jiggle oddly. 

No Blood or gore graphics

Vices:
I guess there's a story, but it's paper thin. 5 is going for a plot but it's not that gripping.

Revealing outfits and jiggle graphics: Both Male and female characters are highly sexualized. Yes, males too. This is probably a good example of equal sexualization isn't really equal. Sexy, revealing contortionist Voldo is creepy and gross vs. sexy, buxom dominatrix Ivy who is appealing.

Nothing but violence, which is standard of an arcade fighting game. It is part of the genre, so the whole genre is under this vice.

Not a vice really but fighting games hurt my thumbs. :P

I wouldn't recommend the SoulCalibur series even though I keep buying them especially around children. I'm a sucker for making my own custom characters.