Thursday, November 26, 2015

Game Thoughts: King's Quest

Also after watching a playthrough I immediately got this installment of King's Quest. After decades since the last release, I was at first not interested. This is why I love let's play videos. I might have really missed out.

Only the first "episode" is available so look forward to future installments!


Synopsis:


 Flashback to the 80's and the first graphical games were coming out. King's Quest was one of the first revolutionary titles in a text-based game world. Full of humor and impossible puzzles unless you had the number to the Sierra hotline. It's a fond memory for many.

Today we have a release of the spiritual prequel. The adventures of King Graham before he became a knight of Daventry, before he went on his adventure for the crown. The old king Graham tells his spunky young granddaughter tales of his youth.

Virtues

All the puns...all of them. (Kind of the staple of the series.)
Charming characters with fun designs
Beautifual painted backgrounds
Splendid voice work
The puzzles do NOT require a walkthrough...yay
Wonderful story
Nostalgia as well as brimming with its own unique charm.
No Swearing, No Nudity, No Sex...complete rated G

Vices

Very, very mild gore
Puns? How could you hate them?
Seriously guys this is the hardest list I've had to come up with. Finally a simple, charming game without the nuttiness of smut, swearing, or all that fun stuff that I usually play.
It was a little sluggish on my laptop...but it was on my laptop.

Conclusion

King's Quest gets my support! It's enjoyable, funny, and a great successor to the King's Quest series, all modernized for today's audiences. Also, if you have a mind (and a walkthrough...trust me you'll need them) enjoy the original King's Quest series...also available on Steam. Good, clean fun. But you will pull your hair out at points. :)