Monday, November 24, 2014

Game Thoughts: Dragon Age Inquisition Part 1

This will probably be a bit of a series as I try to get through the game. It's already ruining my life/sleep cycle. So there's that. I think I've put in a good 10 hours for each character I've made. For now I've narrowed down my game to one character to go through the game. I've designed maybe 6 characters with more on the way.

Currently I have:
- Self-Insert Elf version - similar to my first playthrough of Origins, I started with an elf. Although this one is a mage, not a warrior.

- Fanfic Self Insert - based on my fancomic Tale of Mage Angelo and Warrior AJ...now we have Inquisitor Modesty...also a shameless self-insert.

- Mage Angelo - he has a playthrough in every game and manages to make the world worse. :D It's his thing.

- Willow Qunari Mage - because qunari are playable, I had to make one.

- Malkia - My buck-toothed dwarf warrior. She was a happy accident of the character creation and I just like her.

- Bigby - Male qunari warrior. ...I had to have someone be my ruthless playthrough. And I like the Fables Series.

Anyway, on to some overall thoughts on various aspects: aesthetic look/Art Design, gameplay, graphics, story, and characters.

Art Design

By George, I think they've finally done it! They've taken the iconic look of Dragon Age 2 and added the fantasy flair of old. I am so very pleased with the new art direction...and yes I do follow one of the art director's art blogs. Now the world I feel is coming into its own with unique art for each culture. However, even the UI has seen some nice touches that make it feel like a fantasy game. The codex in particular uses this fascinating almost tarot card art style for the entries.

The armor designs are also much better than Origins, finding a nice balance in visual interest, personality and so on for each main character. Let's just say, I'm loving my Vash The Stampede style mage coat that flutters in wind. And I can't wait to get that Carmen Sandiego style hat.

Graphics

Hand in hand with the art design the graphics have seen a major upgrade from the first two games in the series. It's a good mix of stylization and "fantasy realism". But if your computer settings aren't just right, it like you're in the future because everything here is shiny. Tip: Set Meshes to high to get rid of the extra glisten to hair. I'm hoping there's a fix or mod for this. Also the graphics are INTENSE, so it's no wonder the system requirements are so high. Also world map size. Good gravy.
So that gets us into gameplay.

 

Gameplay

It feels like each game in the series has it's own unique gameplay style. Unlike Mass Effect which was always had a semblance of consistency with gameplay. Dragon Age Origins was yet another D&D style RPG game. You had a camp, companions, and a campaign. Dragon Age II was almost an episodic game with an MMO quality to it. Dragon Age Legends was a flash game where you did fight 2D RPG style but also managed a castle. I can't say I've played Dragon Age Heroes but I'm sure it's unique.

What's this to say, Inquisition feels like a completely different take: It mixed a bit of open world like the Elder Scrolls games, some resource management and a bit of politics. It's weeeeird. But in a good way.

PC control scheme is crap though. Completely unintuitive and hard to utilize. I switched to a game controller because that noise...still. The movement systems in the other games worked fine for PC gaming. /sigh/

Story

Seems a good point to segway into story. Now I'm still in the earliest portions of the game, I don't have a stronghold yet. BUT I am happy to see that one of my biggest beliefs about stories is illustrated so well: Time Travel Ruins EVERYTHING. No spoilers, you can read that elsewhere. To be honest I was wondering how things were going to go between DA2 and other titles. I'm still a bit confused as to how things progressed. The character is sort of thrust into the situation.

I'm not so much of a lore nerd to notice the inconsistencies yet. I know they are there though. I can feel them. But I'm too distracted by throwbacks to characters from earlier games. (Just like in Mass Effect 3.)

However, overall, I feel that so far the story has the epicness of the first game but now with more established lore to back it up.

Characters

So there are several "types" of characters: Advisers, Agents and Companions.
Companions fight with your character, similar to other games. Agents are usually around to run specific crafting or game altering influence in the game. Advisers are like companions but don't fight directly in battle. Okay, so I'm not clear on how this all fits together yet but maybe it will make sense.

I don't have all the companions yet and I purposely avoided all promotional stuff...or as much as possible. I went in only knowing their names and sexual preferences because that's how they market these things nowadays.

Like Mass Effect 3 it's fun seeing old friends and see how they've changed. Meeting new characters which at first you're resistant about but then they grow on you. Like Fungus.
My take on the characters I have so far...

Cassandra: She's remained consistent throughout the media I've seen her in. I like her brash, opinionated personality but peppered with experience.

Cullen: Hello familiar face I recall from the rest of the series. I know you're popular with the female fan-base...it's great to see how you've grown and changed over the years. Also, awesome feather pauldron things. It's soooo fluffy! Also super cute, this is obscuring my better judgement.

Josaphine: Mole...mole...molely molely molely. I like her though. She's crafty and got a great accent.

Lelianna: Poor girl. You were so innocent now...so dark. Mage Angelo would be SO SAD. He never should have left you. Shame on him this is all his fault. ...now this post is getting silly...ANYWAY, she's clearly dealing with hard struggles which I like to see, I hope she maintains some of her innocence. Probably not. Which is fine too I guess.

Solas: He sounds like a proper, older gentleman. I do enjoy his conversations. Again just the sound of his voice is...comforting. Which is kind of awesome. Also, the straight man in a lot of jokes.

Varric: His personality is unchanged from Dragon Age II, which is why he's a bit more endearing to me at least. It's something familiar to cling to in a world gone mad. But you CAN change his armor to be something with a closed shirt...this should not be allowed. ...Just kidding.

Sera: ...she...confuses me. She's incoherent most of the time. She's also raunchy. I keep hoping for funny banter from her but I'm left wanting.

Blackwall: I thought he'd be more stoic. But he's actually more like a mildly drunk lumberjack. He's actually kind of funny. It's oddly endearing. And that beard...is so attractive. *fans* Oh my...what was I talking about again.

Iron Bull: See I was sure HE'D be the inappropriate macho man. So far, he's just macho and more serious than I thought. I will never understand the qunari. :P

Vivienne: I...LOVE...Vivienne. I find her super attractive. Elegant, well-spoken, and a touch of sass.
And proof that mages can indeed pull off the MOST silly of hats.

That's who I have so far. I'm looking forward to running into Hawke . I've already run into some of my Hero of Ferelden legacy. (I'm using a world state based on my first playthroughs of previous titles. So...my warden is dead.) Also Alistair and Morrigan. I kinda wish Anders came back...but I can see how that would make things incredibly awkward with the party.

Update: I just ran into one cameo of Alistair. I was pleased to see he's wearing the armor from the comics which means I have a much better reference for the cosplay. But what happened to the beeeeard. :( And since the hair style no longer include the Nathan Drake duck butt carved out of wood...he looks mildly dignified. Mildly. But he also looks a lot like Cullen. :/ I hope the hair mods come out soon.

Overall

I've been gushing a lot. But that's because I'm on the honeymoon period still. It's long. It takes a lot of time. And I had to buy a whole new computer JUST to run it. (Now I have 2 desktops to get rid of.) That's the part that makes me the maddest. The requirements are intense. Also the control scheme and the initial graphic-lighting issues I had were distracting. I had a rough start with the game but I am enjoying it now. As the plot thickens. But I'm also trying NOT to spend too much time on sidequests...but I'm failing horribly. Also the sound effects of some creatures are awfully ear wrenching...particularly the Red Hart. :P It squeals and screams so terribly.

I am enjoying it...maybe too much. I must take time off to sew this upcoming long weekend.

Tips: Set meshes to high to remove the hair glare.
I used Pinnacle to create a profile for the game controller so I could keep the layout of the mouse/keyboard. However, it's seriously nearly impossible to play with the current mouse/keyboard set up.